Tuesday, February 10, 2009

More Thoughts

Hi..thanks Steve...Decided I'd do a new post so that it wouldn't be missed in a comment section. I knew about the fall...and the other one....I have reviewed, discussed all the safety issues...asked him why in the world he walked upstairs in the dark?...I spoke with Mom who said, "He'll never go upstairs ahead of me again." (She was in the kitchen.) What stopped him was the wall, I think....he fell into part of it. He does seem concerned about having gotten hurt...actually, I think the other fall had to do with the room being dark also. I'll go over that with him again. What can we do? I've discussed those steps, falling, etc. for years...I have spoken with him every day....Bob went over on Sunday and did part of a plumbing job with him. Bob had some things to do to finish the job and will. I was planning on going over there this week, but Dad seemed to have too much on his mind. Tomorrow, the accountant assistant is coming over. He asked me to talk with Mom today to try and help her understand his move on this. She did OK with me. Basically, I tried to have her see it as "doing something for Dad." "Because we all know he is unable to help you with this money stuff and he feels badly about that." Which is true...We talked about how he and all of us wish she could do all that she used to, but we all change and may have trouble doing things we used to do. So.....what are your ideas to have them be more safe?

He's talking about going to OC this weekend. He is not telling me for sure at this point. soooo...I am very grateful Mimi was able to give him a massage today. I figured he would tell her about the fall....He eventually tells all of us what happens to him. I still will try to go and see him on Thurs. or Fri...he and I both decided that my being there with the accountant tomorrow, may have Mom feeling more overwhelmed with pressure. I deeply wish we had more control over all of this...but they are still (and want to be) in control. I have found that when talking with either one of them, I find the opportunity to voice my opinions in the context of their conversation...I believe they will come around...maybe if this finance person is helpful, they will consider other help. Dad DID ask for a few phone numbers....hasn't done anything with them yet. In my work through the years, I discovered that "change was usually measured in small sucessess". I know that things are moving more quickly for them now....I am on "their pulses" just about every second...believe me, and watching them closely, as I pray that they find their way. I may not be in their home, but I know what they've bought at the store, know what the doctors say, know what they are doing just about every day, talk with them about their worries and frustrations....and their hesitancy to do anything differently. This is a BIG step for Dad to have this woman accountant come into their home, pretty much against Mom's wishes, worrying about what it "may do to her to take this away from her???" I coached him to try and find, with the woman, something that Mom could do....This is BIG....I hope he actually goes through with it....Mom seemed like she would give it a try. I just kept telling her that we all love her....want her to feel more at ease....so...that's it. I am going to try and call Steve now....more tomorrow. It certainly did seem to increase their attentiveness to themselves to have frequent calls...love you

No comments:

Post a Comment