Hi. I am having trouble adding a few links...but decided to do a post. I think I had some success today.. Spoke with Deb at Buckley's for Seniors. I had spoken with her months ago. She was so nice and had me vent a bit and ask her advice. Actually she has no solution for having Dad and Mom want to use these services. She told me, however, they had just hired a 64 year old man who they thought would be great for Mom and Dad. She sent me the man's resume...ha...worked for Social Security, unions, various volunteering....I tried to find out from Deb what his "goals for working with this Senior Services group" might be. And I asked her if he was "people friendly" besides sounding like he is very methodical and intelligent. Mrs. Buckly hired him right away, Deb said. Here is her response to my question about "people friendly":
"Good question, ToniAnn. Since Ray has just started working with us, it's hard to address the people skills question from the standpoint of a client. I can only speak to how he came across during the interview and it was very well. He was hired on the spot due to his presentation, education and obvious interest in and ability to relate to seniors. I would say that he is quite articulate and related quite well to Buckley and me and he has been very responsive to our requests for service even during the recent ice storm. He was one of the few employees on staff who braved the weather on Tuesday to get two clients to where they needed to be. He definitely impressed us and we are happy to have him on board. As we get feedback from the clients, we'll be glad to pass it on to you."
Here is answer to his possible goals:
"I just realized I did not address your first question re: goals for working for Buckleys. That is an interesting question. Normally, folks who come to us to work are looking for a way to give something back to the community. Our work is so very part time and not at all career-oriented that we never address goals with them. We often tell them this is a job for people who like to volunteer and get paid for it. We frequently hire recent retirees who have time on their hands and like working with seniors. This is the case with Ray who also is an avid hiker which is hard to do around here during the winter so he's given us some of that spare time and we are grateful.Hope that helps!"
Anyway, now we should all put our heads together and think about a way to have Mr. Evert be introduced to Dad and Mom. And then there is Bill Blackwell...another "older" gentleman, whom Buckley referred. He drives people places...like long trips, like to OC and maybe even out here to see Steve and I!!!! Maybe he could drive one way sometime....and Steve and/or I would do the other trip. I've spoken with him by phone and he sounds very nice. He advertises on Craig's list. And like I said, was recommended by this Senior Service. I guess the ideal thing would be that the Service gentleman (Jay Evert) would help with day to day things as they crop up...and this Bill would help with longer trips.....
I found 3 ads for Bill on Craig's list..he said he has to post his ad every day...he has about 20 regular clients. Charges $45 an hour. not sure about how he works the gas...he drives his own car. Said he would drive them to OC and then go and stay with family in Salsbury.....would have to be all worked out with he and Mom and Dad, of course.
So, I'll work on the links so you are able to see Bill Blackwell's ads...he advertizes for "Take a Night out on the Town" (Buckley's does this too). He advertises for tours around DC and for regular ole trips to the doctor....
He said he would be glad to speak with Dad and work out a fee. He would want Dad to agree to talking with him before he calls him. He will be away for weekend, so I'll take it easy on introducing to Dad....
Not sure which Dad would be more likely to agree to talk with....Oh, Buckley's charges $50 and hour, with an hour minimum. Their group would be like the lead group, with this "driver" Bill available to plan longer trips.
So...a lot to read...but wanted you all to know, I am feeling fairly positive about it. I bet Deb from Buckley's has listened to me and kindly tried to problem solve with me for at least an hour of her time counting several months ago. I keep thanking her. She has asked for no money....we'll see how it goes..(I guess she wants another client too.)
Mom and Dad were having a frozen salsbury steak tonight..probably splitting a frozen meal...Mom was so cute. She said, "I asked Dad if we would just be eating these frozen meals every night." Then she told me his answer, sort of, that they had made a plan to have a frozen meal 3 nights a week. I am going to find some really gourmet frozen meals for them....
And the last thing for today...JoAnn commented on my last post...yippee. She says she reads the blog every day and makes her feel closer to everyone...so post her back..
Better get up and walk around...I'll be in touch...will "grab a moment" to tell Dad about my findings today..but I told him that I "did not want to overwhelm him" with too many new ideas at one time...just trying to acknowledge how terribly hard this must be for them. Night for now...post back...let me know what you think...if you e-mail me, not everyone can share....
How do you all like the "gadgets" I added to the Blog? love, Toni
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi all ~ I tried to send a message this a.m. but it didn't work. Going to try again. Celeste
ReplyDeleteHey it worked. So, sounds like Mom and Dad may be softening a bit to the idea that they need help. That's a good thing. We all need help.
ReplyDeleteI haven't had a chance to contact Father Possey yet, but I can't help but think there must be a ministry at church with people to help elder parishoners, for free,at least for some things. I'm going to try a call now. I'll let you know what I find out.
On an insight note, I think, for me, I've spent most of my "parental" life helping everyone else and its hard for me to help myself. Mom and Dad have always been the helpers. It must be hard for them to make that switch. Later, Celeste
Oh, Cis...I HATE needing help...and especially Mom seems to resist it. Not wanting help is also a sign of feeling like you want to stay in control. Mom won't even get close to the notion of needing help, especially not wanting help. And dad wants some I think..he has said several times when I talk with him, he doesn't know what he needs.??? But he may be moving a little closer to some realizations. If they could see that getting help is still staying in control, making their own decisions...and that others really are capable....
ReplyDelete