Sunday, March 15, 2009

Good morning everybody, I just wanted to say thanks for keeping the words coming. I check this blog thing often. It's always good to hear what's going on. I feel comforted that Mom's eye surgery went well and that Dad and she are back in house being with each other.

I'm also glad to hear about the work that Toni, Celeste and Steve are doing and how you are all struggling the good struggle to communicate with our predictably strong willed parents. I feel like I haven't added much action to my thoughts but for now I'm working hard on listening. And, I'm proud to be in family that cares for each other.

I hope you are all feeling well. Sue and I have been doing a nutritional detox and feeling some good changes. We even talk about staying with it a little longer. Dad asked: "why don't you just give up pretzles for lent?"

I think the six of us are still a challange to Mom and Dad's comfort zone when it comes to the control of their autonomy. I'm sure that Dad feels that we have a lot to learn about survival and rightfully so. He's done pretty damn good. I've thought about those 5 wishes, Toni, and all I keep coming up with is the one that you described so well: We want Mom and Dad to make the neccessary adjustments to their physical condition with any help we can give them and with lots of friendly conversation. I'm thinking it's happening that way......Bye for now, John

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much John for your thanks. You must know that your thoughts are quite important to me. I feel comforted by yours and Sue's support. We are all definitely a challange to Mom and Dad's comfort zone. That was so clear during my time with them last week. I felt like I was disturbing their routine as the days went by. Oh, John, we ate with termites flying about on Wedns eve...they did have exterminator earlier. What an adventure!!! Dad quickly cuts off any discussion he doesn't want to have even though I always wait for cues from him or Mom to introduce something. I made some extra meals for them and he insisted I take a meal home...my addition would confuse him he said. So, believe me, I tread lightly. Keep reading and posting with us every now and then. I will keep stepping with the most love and concern I am able. They are supposed to make pasta con sardi for a gathering on Sat..an annual thing. I volunteered to make it or help them. I truely believe Dad thinks no one can make it as good as he and Mom (he's right!)..and for whatever reason he doesn't want to commit to letting me help...So, as usual, I stand-by. I am glad to hear that you and Sue are doing well. I still have light-headed spells, no hearing in R ear, and Bob is difficult, dogs are great but so very dirty and uncooperative. I even looked up what it would cost to have an elevator put in their house. The next thing I am going to explore is how to look for someone to live in with them. I think they would like someone to "wait" on them. they certainly seemed to like my doing it. And this person would not interefere with what they want to do...or schedule for themselves. Tall order. Mom is almost doing NO cooking. It is very strange to see her sitting while Dad is "spinning around" about meals. Bye for now. It is all good, though very difficult. love you, Toni

    ReplyDelete