Friday, March 27, 2009
WHAT'S UP FOR EASTER??
Hi everyone. Celeste just made a "comment" on the last post (the one about St. Joseph's)...sorry haven't written much...status quo...Dad and Mom have more or less "been doing their own thing"...something about continued "dead bugs" under kitchen sink today...I'll check with them again about that. I think they are looking forward to attending Nathan's 1st birthday party. Mimi and Sophie are picking them up....thanks to Mimi....and DAD ACTUALLY, slightly more directly than usual, asked for a ride.....So what is everyone doing for Easter? I had hoped to be able to drive to Florida with Mom and Dad (maybe Fred and Jo) to visit with Uncle Pete. Dad was actually enthusiastic....but seems Uncle Pete may be coming up here...I asked Dawn about it, and she was sort of "hush-hush"...couldn't figure that out. But JoAnn is to call Dorothy..Otherwise, maybe we'll go to OC....I'll probably go without Bob...my kids don't make much of Easter...and Bob doesn't care...so...where else better could I be? Will let you know. Again, Cis...just write a comment at end of this....and then the others can also comment and we'll have a "thread" or "topic" started by a POST. Of course if you want to POST, do that. Oh, haven't brought up my visit to Ashby Ponds yet with Dad. There is a gathering on April 2...I think i'll tell him about it. Will let you know what happens, if anything...love to all..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I sure liked hearing about pasta con sarde. I felt a little like I got to be there too. Thanks y'all. Not much time...I'm headed for my second job for the day. It's all good. Go to the beach for me Toni. I'm remembering how those spring trips to the beach could be pretty peacefull..... When is Easter?
ReplyDeleteGood morning everyone! Winter is STILL here! 24 degrees right now, cloudy, blustery, and 2 inches of new snow! Well.........someday it will warm up here! Usually not til June!
ReplyDeleteI told Toni that I would have sure liked to have been at the St. Joseph's Day dinner! I LOVE the Cifala family gatherings. You all and Mom and Dad are my family too; I haven't been able to see my family in nearly 11 years!
And I hope Mom and Dad enjoyed themselves at their great-grandson's 1st year birthday party!
How fun! In spite of all of their "ailments" and physical and mental challenges, they are doing SO WELL compared to nearly anyone else their age in the U.S.A. Most folks their age are in a nursing home or not alive anymore (physically). As Toni knows, nearly everyone 90 and over has dementia, if they are fortunate to live that long! Remember the average life span for women is 77; less than that for men!
Mom and Dad have had such a long, successful and RICH life! I am afraid, however, after reading all the books on the market about senility,(when my mother was aging rapidly with senility,) that Mom could lose her mind completely if/when she has to move. That kind of stress usually causes one in her present mental state to put them over the edge, so to speak, and a hospital stay can cause the same tendency. Her home is keeping her grounded right now. She NEEDS those familiar anchors now more than ever. I know moving to the retirement center would really help make Dad's life easier but I don't think he would have a partner anymore, sadly to say. Old age is only for the rugged! They are truly between a rock and a hard place. Staying in their home is probably best for Mom, but Dad could certainly benefit from having meals made, housekeeping done for them etc. at the retirement home. Just packing up their stuff would traumatize Mom! I don't feel that she needs that kind of stress. My siblings and I had the same "problem" with our mother. She didn't want to think about putting names on any of her posessions for any of her 6 children. When anyone said anything about that to her, she just got mad! (Part of the dementia). And moving to a beautiful retirement center? That put her in rage, nearly, which was totally uncharacteristic of the mother we always knew. (She made her transition 6 months after that incident of Guellain-Barre Syndrome, a paralysis disease, similar to MS, which came on literally OVERNIGHT! And took her in 2 weeks.)
Anyhow, the best thing we can do, in my opinion, is TRY to get them some live-in help. Michael and I feel that Dad would be most comfortable with a man, and someone RELATED to him somehow! Isn't there any male relative ANYWHERE that could live with them and help them? I will pray to St. Jude about it! This is a desperate situation in my eyes. Dad needs some help! And St. Jude ALWAYS helps me whenever I ask!
Thanks for "listening" guys. I love you all. You guys have the greatest parents. I love them dearly.
thanks John...wish you could be at the beach with us...we'll see what we do?? and Bonnie..thanks for all your thoughts. You verbalized a lot of feelings we all have had. Not sure if Dad would go for the "related" part, though the "male" part is probably true. He doesn't do well with any one related...i.e. he was always "closer" (not sure what that means to him??) to Fred Ellenberg and Dr. Trahos for that matter. So...Jo and I are still talking about possible Easter plans to include Mom and Dad. Steve, haven't talked with you yet...happy Sunday to all..keep commenting...thanks again Bonnie..."spunart"
ReplyDelete